Business Development Underwriters at Insurate play a crucial role in the sales and underwriting process. This is a unique role combines the skills required for traditional underwriter along with the skills and desire to cultivate new business opportunities with our insurance agency partners.
You will use your expertise to evaluate risks, analyze data, and make informed decisions to ensure the profitability and sustainability of our insurance portfolio.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for technology, be detail-oriented, have strong analytical skills, and be able to work in a remote-first team environment. This position reports to the company’s Director of Underwriting.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Build and strengthen relationships with insurance agency partners to facilitate business growth.
- Solicit and evaluate submissions from agency partners to expand our portfolio.
- Meet and exceed quotas for new business activity generated through agency partnerships.
- Evaluate and underwrite workers compensation insurance policies in accordance with company guidelines and industry regulations.
- Analyze risk factors, loss history, and other relevant data to assess the potential exposure and determine appropriate coverage and pricing.
- Collaborate with other underwriting team members, actuaries, and data scientists to enhance underwriting processes and strategies.
- Stay informed about industry trends, market conditions, and regulatory changes affecting workers compensation insurance.
- Provide excellent customer service by addressing inquiries, concerns, and providing guidance to clients and stakeholders.
- Contribute to the development of underwriting policies, guidelines, and procedures.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance, Insurance, or related field.
- Proven experience as a workers compensation insurance underwriter.
- In-depth knowledge of workers compensation insurance regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient in using underwriting software and other relevant tools.
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
- Relevant insurance certifications (e.g., CPCU, ARM) are a plus.
- Turnaround time for processing and underwriting workers compensation insurance applications.
- Submission activity from agency partners.
- Increase in market share for workers compensation insurance within the target market.
- Monitoring and analyzing market trends to identify growth opportunities.
- Customer feedback and satisfaction scores related to underwriting processes.
- Timely resolution of customer inquiries and concerns.
- Number of successful partnerships with brokers, agents, and other external partners.
- Feedback from external partners regarding the quality of underwriting support.
- Utilization and effectiveness of data analytics tools for risk assessment.
- Continuous improvement in leveraging data insights for underwriting decisions.
- Participation in ongoing training programs and professional development opportunities.
- Assessment of underwriters' skill enhancement and knowledge growth.
- Reduction in underwriting errors and omissions.
Compensation and Benefits
- Annual salary range of $90,000 to $120,000 and benefits package including health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, 401(k) plan, and paid time off.
- Bonus potential between 15% and 40% of base compensation.
- Meaningful participation in Insurate’s equity program. All Insurate employees are part owners of the company.
- Remote-First Workplace: At Insurate, we recognize the importance of providing a flexible and inclusive work environment that allows our employees to thrive while maintaining a healthy work-life balance.